Step-by-step guide to migrate your current PVS infrastructure to the version 7.6. This migration can be done without any downtime.
For fresh install, it is pretty much the same steps.
- Upgrade is possible from PVS 5.1 SP1, 5.1 SP2, 5.6, 5.6 SP1, 6.x
- Backup the Provisioning Services database because the upgrade will impact the DB too
- Select a maintenance window that has the least amount of traffic
- No need to upgrade the Target Devices at this point
- High-level permissions on the database for the upgrade (db_datareader, db_datawriter and execute permissions on stored procedures)
- Citrix Licensing 11.12.1
- Windows Server 2008 (32 or 64-bit) and up
Download Citrix Provisioning Services 7.6
- Make sure that your vdisks are properly load balanced and that all your servers are streaming them properly.
- Bring the PVS services down on the first server. It will rebalance all devices connected to that server to another server (optional)
- Uninstall previous software is recommended if your current version is prior to 6.x
- Upgrade PVS 7.6 on the first PVS server which upgrades the database.
- Upgrade the console on the first PVS server
- Upgrade all others servers in the Farm using the same procedure. Database upgrade will only occur once
Note from Citrix: Alternatively, the database can be upgraded by running the upgrade script, which is produced by the database administrator using DbScript.exe. Running the upgrade script against the database eliminates the need to grant high-level permissions to Provisioning Services Administrators.
Unzip the .iso downloaded from Citrix website or mount it, then click on autorun.exe.
At this point select Server Installation. We will do the console installation later.
Click Install to install the components required (SQL 2012 Tools and PowerShell snap-ins)
Select Yes to install SQL2012nclx64.
The wizard is now installing all the components.
Read and accept the license.
Enter your Name and the name of your organization and select Anyone.
Select the location of your install. For us, we decided to install PVS on the D drive.
Select next to begin the install.
The wizard is now install PVS 7.6.
Installation completed. Select Finish.
The Provisioning Services Configuration Wizard shows up, select Next.
in our configuration, we are using the global DHCP so the service does not run on the PVS server. Select The service that runs on another computer.
in our configuration, the global DHCP is providing the boot configuration. Select The service that runs on another computer.
The wizard detects that PVS was already installed. Select Farm is already configured.
Enter your service account information. (Service account name, domain name, and password)
This account is used to connect to the database and to stream the vdisks. Make sure that this account has enough permissions to connect to the database and to the share where are located the vdisks.
The wizard will take few minutes to validated the credentials. Then leave the default configuration and select Next.
Next step is to select your streaming network card and management network card.
In this configuration, we have a dedicated network for the streaming but that is not mandatory.
The ports used are the default ones.
In our configuration, we are using TFTP to boot from the network. If you don’t need this, please uncheck it.
The Stream Servers Boot list contains all the servers available in your site to boot from the network. You may need to add more servers, depending of your configuration.
The next screen is a summary of configuration. Please check that everything is Ok then select Finish.
The wizard is updating the configuration. Select Finish at the end to close the wizard.
Now, we need to install the PVS console. Citrix recommends that both Provisioning Services server and console software be upgraded at the same time for each Provisioning Server system in the farm. Remote Consoles can be upgraded at any time.
The wizard is decompressing the msi.
Read the license and Select accept.
Enter your information and your organization and select Anyone.
Select the location of your installation.
Select complete to install all components.
Select Next to start the install.
Installation is in progress.
The wizard is not completed. The console is installed. Select Finish.
To make sure that the console was properly installed, open the console then About Provisioning Services Console. The version should be 220.127.116.1119.
Complete the same procedure that was performed on the first server on each of the remaining servers in the farm.